Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 Post Christmas Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Vacation. Maybe just complicated.

So by the title I think you can guess the direction this is going. Don't get me wrong it was great to get away for a couple of days but I was glad to be home today. So we had plans long before the huge snow storm came through. We had decided that we were going to drive to Forks, Washington and stay there for one night. We were going to check out Twilight stuff of course. So fun and Michael wanted to go to go see some trees as well. We had gone to the southern end of the Olympic National Forest earlier this year and so we wanted to go see the Hall of Moss this time at the north end of the Olympic National Park. So the plans were made and we were ready for a good time.

We were waiting for a part of the morning to see if the toner I had been waiting for would arrive since it hadn't made it overnight like it was supposed to. It didn't make it and we didn't end up leaving until 1pm. We already new that it would be dark by the time we got to the hotel. We had to stop in Everett and so we went to see my friend Shelly for a little bit since we were taking the ferry anyway. It was still snowing on Friday so things were moving slowly but the snow and shoppers were worse in Everett so it was a slow drive. It was snowing so hard in Everett that we finally literally slid into Shelly's all the way from the road to her house there was no control. We had fun seeing her and we always love visiting with her and her family. We didn't leave there until 3pm and we still had over 3hrs to drive. So we headed out and Michael needed some Advil so we stopped at the drugstore and picked up more things things than we needed. Then we thought what if the gas trucks have not been able to get out to the coast and the gas stations are few and somewhat far between. So we picked up a gas can and some gas. Let me tell you not our brightest idea. So we started off towards the ferry, still a little hard to see and I didn't turn in place for the ferry line so I turned around and we pulled up to buy our ticket. I thought wow we made it just in time for the 4:30 ferry. Then the guy informed us that we were too late and that we would have to wait for the 5:15 ferry. Yes you guessed it now even further behind. But we were the first car on the ferry. As we sat there with windows down and wrapped in blankets, gas fumes not so good I'm sure the car next to us thought we were crazzzzyyy. So time seemed to go quickly when we got off the boat and we were on the road again. We had to make a couple of bathroom stops and there were lots of black ice warnings so of course we took it slow. Luckily the roads were mostly clear just some wet spots along the way. The worst part was the drive between Port Angeles and Forks. The road is more narrow and lots of curves along the way, this is why Bella would be so scared of Edward's driving so fast on that road. LOL. We had gotten Becky a navigation for Christmas the day before and then Michael asked if we could borrow the new toy of course. So we typed in the address and it guided us the entire way and led us right into Forks to what looked like a warehouse. Not quite what we were expecting. So we got back on Hwy 101 and it was just down the road. The lady at the hotel said that most of the GPS systems take people to the Police station so we got lucky that we had landed a little closer. So we got in about 9pm. We stayed up watched a little TV and Dane had to jump on the beds. It's a tradition. That one is for you Shelly, we were on the bottom floor this time so no complaints.

Cute picture of Michael and Dane.
We got to sleep in a little thanks to the dark curtain in the hotel room. We got up around 9am and were out around 10pm. We went to a local place for breakfast it was super good food cause it wasn't out of a box. So then we had to go to the Twilight store(Dazzled by Twilight). Wow now there was someone obsessed. She had way too much and new way too much about the books and movie. We got to talking to her and she told us that she was from Vancouver Washington and that she had 6 kids. She opened her store at the beginning of November and brought up 2 of her kids with her and left the rest of her kids there cause she didn't want to pull them out of school and her husband back in Vancouver and that they meet in the middle when they can. Wow now there was someone obsessed. Not sure if she is just dazzled or dazed and confused.

She gave us a map where other Twilight places were located but we hadn't planned on going to those places. Not this time. We did go to the visitors center though because we had to find out about the Ho Rainforest and there at the visitors center was a Bella looking truck so we had to take a picture with the truck.
When we went to the visitor center they told us that the rainforest was closed. Not good so Michael had thought ok we will see if there is less snow where we were earlier this year to see some trees. So before we left town we went to La Push to the beach. It was cold windy and wet. Blahh not so fun.

It was just us for awhile then we decided at that point we should put the gas in the gas tank and put it inside two plastic bags to get rid of some of the fumes. It worked for the most part. Then as we were doing that 3 cars pulled up and I'm sure were wondering what the heck we were doing. So we finally got back on the road. On the way there was a place to stop and look at a "Big Cedar" that is what they called it. So we U-turned and let Michael get out to check it out.
These are just the roots the tree was massive.
We continued on until we got to the Lake Quinalt are of the forest and Michael wanted to go to one particular area that wasn't too far in that we hadn't gotten to see much of last time. Once again as I pulled in the car started to slip and slide and I thought oh no watch were going to get stuck where no one else is and it's limited phone service. Luckily my driving days from driving the 70's van(thank you John) in Iceberg I mean Rexburg paid off and we got situated in a position where we could escape when Michael was done admiring. Once again Dane and I stayed in the car just not as adventurous this time and I like to be warm and be able to feel my toes. I had already slipped and had fallen once in the snow that day. Hello. So once again back on the road this time the destination was Onalaska. We were looking forward to a visit with Ron and Jill Lambert. As we were driving down the two lane highway Michael pointed out that he thought that one of the headlights was out. I said no way, I had taken the car in for an oil change the day before and they even checked the lights. So we had to stop in Chehalis which is close to Onalaska and Lambert's were in town so as we were pulling up to their car I said hey is that you in the Jeep and she said yeah is that you with one headlight? BLAST! I couldn't believe it. So of course the small town that it is Napa was already closed and so we couldn't fix it. As we drove to the Lambert's I couldn't believe how much snow they had gotten almost 2 feet. There were a lot of people that we talked to the next day at church that said they had been snowed in cause they just don't have the plows to get to people. Anyway, we made it finally and had a good evening and a surprise cause Veronica had come home. Dane was excited a little timid at first but then warmed up to her again and they had a good time playing. She is so good with kids. So once again we stayed up late I helped Jill shop online it was fun to see how excited she would get. Finally we called it a night and got a good nights sleep. At least I did cause I had my own bed.

We woke up ready and got ready to go to church. 9am you got to love it. So my stomach was not feeling so great and so I thought that I would eat something that would help. When we got to church I was still a little blah but thought I could make it. Well I made it almost to the end of Sunday school then ran to the bathroom and luckily I was by myself and you guessed it threw up. So then I went to get Michael and we headed home and Veronica brought Dane home. I got back to the house and took some Advil for my stomach cramps and then fell asleep for a few hours. When I woke up everyone was home and eating yummy bean dip (thanks Veronica). I also noticed when I had downloaded the pictures they Dane and Veronica were having a little too much fun. Lot's of fun Dane perspecitve pictures but these two were my favorite.

Veronica and Dane

Dane loves the camera. Till Dad takes it away.
So I had Michael and Ron give me a blessing. I didn't throw up any more and we decided to come home early and end the madness. So we took off around 4pm. We had made it almost to Olympia about 30 miles away Michael and I were talking and Dane was watching a movie then he said Mom when are you going to buckle me in? I looked back and oh my we hadn't buckled him in. Every mothers nightmare. So we pulled off at the next exit and buckled him in and off again. We hit traffic in Tacoma as usual but it wasn't too bad. It was raining pretty hard when we got back to Issaquah but were excited to see the snow had melted. It was ok for a couple of days but then it just got annoying. I'm just glad that we didn't loose power. I would would take more snow if I can just keep power. So we made it home and we had a good time we can look back already and laugh but at the time it was just one thing after another. I am glad to be home and back in my own bed though.


Betsey said...

Amy your family is SO cute!!! I was so excited to find your blog!!! I'm adding you to our blog list :) Sorry you got sick on your trip! I hope you are feeling a lot better now. I love the pictures you took. Little Dane is a cutie!!!

Harris Family said...

Wow the trip sounds crazy- sounds like UTAH!!! I cant believe your snow- I heard it on the news and thought of you last year losing your power- I hope that your house stays warm there this year. Looks like your christmas was fun- love and miss you guys!

Carrie said...

Sorry it wasn't as idyllic as you had hoped, you guys should come camping out there with us this summer. We camp near La Push every summer, and it is so beautiful. I'm glad you're feeling better and getting some good sleep!

Mark said...

I kept waiting for something horrible to happen, but other than the gas (which made me laugh outloud) it didn't sound too bad! One thing that did get met thinking was your "hello", comment in there. Miles has taken to saying "Hello!", all the time....kind of like a "duhhh", I wonder if he got it from you. :)